Thursday, August 16, 2007

what american women want

Ask the average man what women want and what would the answer be?
I asked a few unsuspecting colleagues. Here's what they said...

"The moon on a stick?" came the first reply, swiftly followed by: "Oh, I don’t know, security?"Happily, I can report that 9 out of 10 males met my question with a sensible answer.

"To be made a fuss of," replied one. "Cuddles and reassurance," said another. The youngest of my male co-workers (a baby-faced 23-year-old geek) pondered for a few moments then said: "All women are different, so it would depend on the individual." Hmm.

Almost every man I asked had a reasonable answer to give. I bravely turned to the office joker. "Hey, Rich, what is it that women really want?" I shouted across the office. "To be loved and cared for," came the straight-faced reply. Suddenly it seemed the conversation had turned serious.

Next I asked women what men want. There was no hesitation here. "Sex," came the resounding answer. Surely men aren’t all that predictable? My married female friend gave it some thought then said: "No, you’re right, they also want food and TV."

We want the same thing So what do women want? A rich husband? Security and reassurance? A man who loves clothes shopping? No, women want the same thing that men want – to feel loved, respected and desired. So where’s the problem? The answer lies in communication.

Men and women want the same things but they tend to express their love, respect and desire in different ways, which can sometimes lead to misunderstandings. I’m not suggesting that men are from Mars and women from Venus. The language barrier is no longer intergalactic. I like to think of it more as a West Country twang that can sometimes make understanding directions difficult.

Imagine this scenario. Your partner gets home after a stressful day at work and collapses on to the sofa. Do you give them a cuddle, ask them how their day was, chat about the next-door neighbours or pour them a large gin and tonic? While women often want to talk about what’s on their mind, many men prefer to be left alone for an hour or so. It’s not that they are emotionally closed off – it’s how they re-charge their batteries.

Learn to speak female
Men also need to learn the female dialect. When asked "Does my bum look big in this?" should a man reply with total honesty? There are ways to tell your beloved that a dress is less than flattering. Compare "You’re sexy whatever you wear but I think you look more gorgeous in the red dress" with "Yes, you could lose a few pounds".

What is important is knowing what makes your other half tick. There is nothing wrong in asking what they would like – although women may be likely to say: "You don’t really care for me or you’d know already without me having to tell you." My only advice to men is to become experts at observation. Remembering dates and details may sound like a female trait – but the good news is that if you men show a little thoughtfulness your partner will at least notice!

Show signs of your affection every day. If your partner likes a cup of tea in the morning then making them one will act as your sign of affection.

We all have little things that mean a lot to us – make a little effort every day if you want to keep your woman – or man – happy.

No comments: